The pita bread at authentic Lebanese restaurants is to die for! It's the best part of Lebanese cuisine, so how to you make it? This video will share Dmitra "Dima" Khoury's family recipe for pita bread, perfect as any meal companion.
While growing up in Lebanon, Dmitra helped her mother make 150 pita rounds per week for the family, carrying the dough to an aunt's house for baking! This dough takes time to rise but only 8-10 minutes to bake. High oven heat causes the rounds to steam and puff up, creating a perfect pocket for fillings. You can also use the dough for flat-bread pizzas or Lebanese spinach pies.
Makes 30 rounds
* 7 cups all-purpose flour + additional for dusting
* 1 pkg active dry yeast (2¼ tsp)
* 32 oz warm water
* 1 tbsp sugar (or honey)
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, add flour and make a well
2. Add yeast, ½ cup of the warm water, sugar, salt and oil
3. Mix with hands from the outside of the flour into the well, and continue to add water a little at a time, mixing until the dough comes together
4. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes (a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment can be used, and kneading time will be less)
5. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until it has doubled in size, 2½ - 3 hours
6. Cut dough into portions and roll out one portion at a time into an 8-10" log. Cut into portions and shape into rounds. Dust rounds with flour, cover with a towel and let rise for 10 minutes
7. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500º
8. Dust each dough ball with flour again. Roll each round into 8" circles, about ¼" in thickness
9. Lay on baking sheets that have been lightly dusted with flour. Bake until they have began to puff up, and are lightly brown, 4-5 minutes (do not allow pitas to get golden brown). Turn over and bake an additional 3-4 minutes
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.