- Cooking spray
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, shells removed
- 3 strips orange zest, bitter white pith removed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 small apple (about 5 ounces total), peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch pan with cooking spray. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt and then put aside.
- Chop pecans in food processor using a metal blade (usually about 6 pulses, or until coarse). Set pecans aside for later use.
- Add orange zest and sugar to processor until finely chopped (usually for 45 seconds). Then add apple, egg, and vanilla to processor and run for another 15 or 20 seconds. Keep the machine running and feed butter and buttermilk through feed tube and process for an additional 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add cranberries, pecans, and dry ingredients to the processor and let pulse 5 or 6 times, until the flour is adequately mixed in. Be careful not to overprocess.
- Pour batter from processor into 8 x 4-inch pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, of until golden brown. Let it cool, and for best results, preserve it in plastic wrap for 24 hours before serving.
While you're stuck at home, make the most of your time by learning a new language, skill, or even train for a remote-work job with our new premium online courses.
Check them out >